Popular Posts

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Preparing my Garden for 2012 With leaf mulch and Worms


Here is a picture of my ornamental cherry tree in bloom the end of March which I have 5 of  my bird houses on this beautiful tree, plus the birds have already found mates picked out their home and started to collect nesting material. 

Pink flowers
Ornamental Cherry Tree in Bloom

I have already prepared my garden early March down by the New Jersey Shore. I ordered 20 cubic yards of leaf mulch and spread it all over my lawn and into my Garden.  The leaf mulch helps to place nutrients into the soil and our town delivers the mulch for free.

Today I received in the mail Garden Worms called red wigglers over 1,000 which I ordered online and put them into my garden. I place coffee grinds and potato peels into the garden for them to feed on. Red Wigglers feed the garden with nutrients and they also aerates the soil.


Here's How The Worms Do It
  1.  They make burrows and tunnels that let water and nutrients reach plants root systems. Red Worms are best at this for lawns and gardens because they work close to the surface. Whereas, night crawlers may go down five feet or more to find a home. This burrowing loosens the soil and aerates it.
  2. Worms eat and digest their body weight every day, producing a 100% natural fertilizer know as worm castings or worm poop.
  3. Worms castings are:
    1. Times Richer In Nitrogen
    2. Times Richer In Phosphates
    3. 11 Times Richer In Potash than the average top soil

I do this every year and I can not wait to get started planting my Veggie Garden.
My Package

1,000 Red Wiggler Worms

Wiggle Wiggle

Released in my Garden

And Again

The Leaf Mulch that was delivered



.
Be Creative
Enjoy



No comments:

Post a Comment