Popular Posts

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Beneficial Bugs for my Garden 2012

Beneficial Bug for my Garden
10 praying mantis egg cases into each bag with a paper clip next to the sunny window


Every year I purchase Praying Mantis Egg Cases and place each one in a small lunch 
paper bag. I do this for my garden they are a Beneficial Bug that eat the bad bugs in my Garden. 


I placed each egg case in the bag and put a paper clip on top of the bag. Put them next to my sunny side of a window to hatch. So this year I purchased 10 egg cases and placed each one in the brown paper bag. 

I am always in a hurry to plant veggies in my Garden before the Mantis hatch. I am still planting in my large garden and my small garden is finished. This year I am expanding my garden on the east side of my yard.

But I had no choice right now 3 bags of mantis eggs hatched and I needed to find a release spot for them. 

You know when they hatch in the brown paper bag.  It sounds like popcorn you hear them walking around inside the bag and if you lift the bag up to the sunny window you will see their little shadows. Oh so cute (at lease for a little alien praying mantis)

I did place some into my flower beds, into my small garden, my larger garden, strawberry patch and also in a hidden spot my hydrangea so the birds do not find and eat them. 

Open the bag and this is the army of mantis

Egg case on the right you can hatch over 100 in an egg case

I placed the egg case on my cherry tomato
This is so much fun and if you have small children this is a beneficial educational project for them to experience.

Be Creative 
Enjoy



No comments:

Post a Comment